Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Steady Miles Away 2009.08.16



I’m miles away from anywhere
Yet I’ve found myself here
Traveling down this rubble road
Passing aspen groves and lush wild grass
With land expanding to the horizon

Wind wisps through the trees
As the sun bakes the landscape
My four wheeler steadies itself rounding curves
And I disappear into the countryside
Precarious and welcoming at once, this land

I’m miles away from anywhere
Checking the rear view and spare tire
Adrenaline rushing
Not a soul for miles
Survival instincts triggered
I could scream or cry out
Yet calmed in submission
By this lack of control
Which is life

Deep respect and perspective
I’m a stranger acclimating to the ways
Of this primal land and pristine beauty
Rugged and resplendent
Careful how to tread
Strong enough to wrangle
Grateful for the opportunity