Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Swan Dive (edit) 2009.08.18


True, I was stumbling
Tumbling
Troubled
Falling hard and fast
Alone
Mostly, no one understood
You knew about descent

From the air,
One cannot see the ground
Well, not the details
The things that can matter
In a life

So, yes, 
I was nose down
In a freefall
With speed, passion
And reason to be there
Jettisoning far from the light

But you asked me be your friend
To think
To see beyond that day
Somehow
You seemed to be able to see
Beyond that
Beyond me
For me
For more, even

You enveloped me
As a friend
You shared your depth
And listened
With a patience that’s hard to understand
I still may never

To think that maybe
You saw something
In this diving swan
Unfocused as I was
Messy with old feathers
You still pushed
Determined

With you
I feel at home in new places
And new things feel home
You have brought me
From the depths
Relished in remaking the girl
The girl who might be your woman
Or not
But she is still the girl
Who is loving you right now
With all of the love
That has been missing in an entire life

I thank you for waking me up
And giving me breath
You have encouraged this diving swan
And she is grateful